Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Grandma Phyllis Talbot

So grandma hasn't been doing very well and has been to the ER a couple of times with stomach pains so Gerald and Scott gave her a blessing on Sunday the 30th.  They thought she was just having problems with constipation.  Kristen then came to stay with her for awhile on Wednesday.  Thursday the 3rd I came by to trim her toenails.  I have been doing this for her for quite some time now and the last couple of times started using a dremel tool which made it a lot easier.  I was so glad I spent some extra time with her and massaged her legs and feet with lotion.  She loved it!  She told me that she finally decided to move into Nyssa Gardens after her birthday on May 2nd even though she didn't want to.  And then she said maybe I won't even live till then.  She joked that all her family might be coming to a funeral instead of a birthday party.  I told her wouldn't that be something if Grandpa and her both died on their birthdays.   I also helped her vacuum a little because she told me her Home Teachers were coming.  Paul and Merlyn Skeen have been visiting her for years and have been great friends and support to her.  Paul's parents were good friends with Waynard and Phyllis and grandma talked about them a lot.

On the 13th grandma fell trying to manage throwing up and going to the bathroom at the same time. Unfortunately Kristen had gone for a walk, but grandma was able to hit her alert button and call for help. Steve was contacted and went over to help.  He told us how hard that was for him to see her like that.  She was throwing up blood and he said it looked like a murder scene.  They were able to get her to the hospital and they found that she had a bleeding ulcer.  They gave her three units of blood and didn't know how long she would live.  So they were making plans for her to go home Wednesday with Hospice.  I was happy to be able to see her Monday and Tuesday after work for a little bit.  She was still very alert and her mind was as sharp as ever.  She died peacefully at the hospital on Wednesday the 9th at 1:00pm with Gerald and Wanda by her side.  I was so glad that they were with her.  I am still so amazed that she was able to live in her home till the very end at the age of nearly 102.  She is a remarkable women and always treated me as one of her own.  She will be greatly missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment